What is Accreditation?
Is Your School Accredited?
One of the most frequently asked questions we receive at Genesis School of Natural Health is on the subject of accreditation. Understanding what accreditation means is important when looking at non-traditional schools.
General Definition: Accreditation constitutes public recognition that an educational program meets the administrative, organizational, and financial criteria of a recognized agency.
In the United States, educational standards for schools are set by a network of agencies approved by the U.S. Office of Education (USOE) or the Council on Recognition of Postsecondary Accreditation (CORPA). USOE or CORPA do not accredit individual schools, but they approve the national and regional agencies that do so. Almost all such agencies are voluntary and nongovernmental.
Government Accreditation is not the same as Professional Accreditation that is stated by the majority of online natural health schools.
Professional Accreditations that are NOT recognized by the US Secretary of Education include (there are more):
- American Association of Drugless Practitioners (AADP)
- Hygienic Doctors Association (HDA)
- American Naturopathic Medical Accreditation Board (ANMAB)
- American Naturopathic Certification Board (ANCB)
- International College of Holistic Medicine (ICHM)
- American Council for Holistic Medicine (ACHM)
- International Association of Natural Health Practitioners(IANHP)
- National Association for Nutrition Professionals (NANP)
- Accreditation for Natural Health programs in the United States is an entirely voluntary process.
- Non-traditional schools apply and pay for Professional accreditation.
- Professional accreditation, in most cases, involves someone or a group that reviews the curriculum and standards the school has established.
- Diplomas and “Degrees” from Trinity School, Natural Healing College, New Eden School, The University of Natural Medicine, and American School of Natural Health (as well as the many not listed) are not Government Accredited schools. They are Professionally Accredited.
- Genesis School of Natural Health: We will be seeking 1-2 Professional Accreditations partly because it is misunderstood and we don’t want to miss the opportunity to teach and train a student because they were not aware of the terminology. We also want to support their important mission of helping all natural health professionals and their clients keep their health freedoms!
Schools That Use The Above Accreditation Groups:
“Trinity School is accredited and recognized by the American Naturopathic Medical Accreditation Board (ANMAB) in Las Vegas, Nevada (www.anmab.org). We have not, nor do we plan to seek accreditation through the U.S. Department of Education.”
Note about Trinity School: The Whitman Group is a an umbrella company that includes the businesses: Certified Natural Health Professionals (CNHP), Reagans Book Store, Limited Edition Herbs, Inc., Health Freedom Expo, Traditional Flower Remedies (Bach Flowers), Nutritional Resources Inc., The Certification Program for The American Association of Nutritional Consultants (A.A.N.C.) and more.
NATURAL HEALING COLLEGE
“Our graduates diplomas are eligible for board certification through numerous independent agencies that specialize in setting standards for holistic programs to make sure the programs are well rounded and meet the holistic educational standards such as American Council of Holistic Medicine (ACHM), American Naturopathic Certification Board (ANCB), American Association of Drugless Practitioner (AADP). “
NEW EDEN SCHOOL
“Full Accreditation with the American Council for Holistic Medicine (ACHM)”New Eden has school approval with the American Naturopathic Certification Board (ANCB)”; “New Eden School has school approval with the International Association of Natural Health Practitioners (IANHP).”
THE UNIVERSITY OF NATURAL MEDICINE
“The University of Natural Medicine is devoted to higher education in the field of Integrative and Natural Medicine, with individually designed Degree and Diploma Programs, Independent Study, and an International Faculty of over 75 distinguished educators and practitioners.” The University of Natural Medicine is accredited by the American Naturopathic Medical Accreditation Board (ANMAB).
AMERICAN SCHOOL OF NATURAL HEALTH
“We are also accredited by the Association of Drugless Practitioners (AADP) and the National Association for Nutrition Professionals (NANP).
GENESIS SCHOOL OF NATURAL HEALTH
Genesis School of Natural Health is accredited by the American Association of Drugless Practitioners (AADP): The American Association of Drugless Practitioners Certification and Accreditation Board provides full board professional accreditation and certification to both institutes of higher education and professional practitioners.
I hope this posting has cleared up the confusion!